Wednesday, April 12, 2006

two more interesting suggestions

A couple of people sent me comments, I don't know which posts they were in reference to, so I'm just going to address them here.

First, someone asked me about The X Prize , presumably with regard to my suggestions about personalized genomes (?). I'm not sure what to make of this since the comment was so brief.

a) If you meant I should apply for a job there, they're not hiring scientists directly except for upper-level administrative positions. But I don't think that's what you meant.

b) If you meant I should enter the contest, I think you're crazy at best, naive at worst (or maybe the other way around?). Everybody knows the people who win these sorts of things, like the NIH Pioneer Award , do not win for their great ideas, but for what they've already accomplished and who likes them personally. Translation: nominations for unknown postdocs (like me) are not welcome. Letters from Nobel-prizewinning friends are a MUST.

c) Finally, I don't really like their philosophy. I don't believe that competition is the best way to get the best ideas from the best people. Never did.

***

Another person suggested I should write children's books. This is an interesting idea to me, since as a kid I loved reading adult books (by which I mean, novels, you dirty minds!), and I don't want or have any kids of my own. So if the person who suggested this wants to expound, feel free. I suspect it was meant to be a sarcastic dig on how idealistic I sound in some of these posts, or something??

2 Comments:

At 7:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think you should put too much stock in somone who recommended you try for the X award.

Did they not notice its going to be given out for people to come up with faster ways to sequence? Correct me if I'm wrong, but that doesn't seem to have much to do with your research.

Unless you run a sequencing lab on the side or something.

How about that Nobel prize? That comes with money. Why don't you try applying for that. I hear its very successful for some people, gets them better parking spots and all.

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Matt BK said...

I think that competition is a great way to get new ideas out of people who would normally never have them. Mostly, I wish to apply this to high-school-age kids in the future in order to actually teach them skills rather than to standardized tests.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home