Thursday, June 26, 2008

Today was an okay day.

Despite the always-irritating news that somebody I helped (just to be nice!) do a potentially awesome experiment has decided not to follow up on it, the rest of the day was basically okay.

I think it helped that I had a big breakfast, got some work done, and mostly avoided talking to anybody all day, except one good friend who came by to chat and make me laugh.

I am happy to say that one meeting I had scheduled for today got postponed, and the only one I had scheduled for tomorrow got canceled. Hooray!

And I am planning to take as much of the weekend off as possible. Ha!

Although lately I am verging on the mode of thinking about my science at random times (in my sleep, in the shower, when I'm meeting with somebody boring...).

Maybe because I haven't had much time to think, without interruptions, during Official Work Hours.

It's sort of like being deprived of sleep- if you don't get enough during the allotted time, you'll find yourself catching up when you don't intend to.

The mind is a terrible thing.

Big breakfast aside, I must not have had enough lunch, since now I'm starving, and basically done in lab for the day. I'm heading home now before anything (more likely anyone) has a chance to ruin my mood!

(Dinner is almost always yay!)

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 8:45 PM, Blogger Unbalanced Reaction said...

I couldn't agree more with the thinking-deprivation thing. Ironically enough, I think writing up my thesis put me into that state. Although I was working on my research, it was stuff already done...and honestly I was just trying to get through the thesis...so I could get back to thinking about research.

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Ms.PhD said...

Actually I think writing my thesis was one of the first times when I became aware that I was doing this to the point where it was compounding my stress rather than making me feel productive.

Before that, when I was thinking about work in the shower or on the way to lab in the morning, I was thinking how excited I was to do experiments and planning how best to test my ideas. And I always felt better when I felt I had thought things through and had a clear idea of what to do next.

It's different when you're daydreaming about big picture, long-term ramifications.

Things like, where is my field going? Of the different areas I work in, do I want any of these people as my colleagues(maybe)? Do they want me (no)? Will departmental politics (assuming I ever end up in a faculty position) be better or worse than internal lab politics (can they really be worse)?

Worse than that, I've been having really strange, vivid dreams at night, which is never a good sign. Even when they're not about work, the only thing that makes me dream like that is work stress.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home