Friday, January 28, 2005

Friday afternoon- rain, and coffee cravings

Hey.

I am really tired.

Last night I had all the best intentions of going to kickboxing class, but I got stuck in traffic. I went home and went running because I had worked up all this energy- and anger. Most of it was from 'male engineer' guy, who emailed me that he had his best friend read some of my posts, particularly some of my generalizations about the men I have had to deal with professionally, and they decided that I 'have a chip on my shoulder.'

Nice.

This from MentorNet, which is supposed to be a Network for Women. MentorNet, to their credit, seems to want to do something about this, so I'm curious to see what happens. Unfortunately I was annoyed enough that I deleted the guy's email, when I normally would have saved it in case of the need for a lawsuit, or whatever. Very uncharacteristic of me.

You can imagine this is not the first time I've dealt with harrassment via email.

After the running, I did yoga. The idea is to get tired enough to relax. Or something.

Today I am sore. It is good for me, I know, but apparently if I relax, or get sore, it makes me too tired to want to do much of anything.

Especially work.

yawn.

So, I am waiting for my reverse transcription reaction so I can set up my quantitative PCR. I've never done this before, so it's more amusing and less tedious than I'm sure it will be the next time(s) around.

Except the waiting part. I like data. I don't like the part where I have to incubate the reaction for hours to get the data.

Read some of the NOW magazine this morning at breakfast. Most of it is too depressing to read, but I couldn't miss the statistic on tenure: only 27% of tenured faculty are women. Yet, apparently on average, 50% of assistant professors are women. Of course, this is not specific to science- it's much worse in science.

Suffice it to say, maybe not the best way to start the day.

Yesterday I also got another rejection letter from a university that claims it received no less than 300 applications for this one position. Not that I'm surprised, but it really does start to seem like the futile exercise, mailing out my CV and trying to write cover letters that don't sound like total schlock.

I am working again tomorrow, all day, or I might be in a better mood now. As it is, I don't have anything fun planned tonight and plan to do the usual- sit on the couch and watch Buffy, maybe go to bed earlier than last night.

Am really looking forward to sleeping in on Sunday.

1 Comments:

At 2:29 PM, Blogger Ms.PhD said...

2:1 is not bad, you're right.

Where I went to grad school, for the first couple of years I was there, there was not a single female faculty member who had not been hired as a package with her husband. In almost every case, the husband got promoted faster and got tenure first. In *no* case did the woman get promoted faster or get tenure faster than their husband.

It's getting better, I think, but not much. Now I think they have a couple of women they hired whose spouse is not a scientist, or whose spouse works at another university in the area.

Granted, they almost always hire from within.

And it is not exactly frowned upon to date or marry your employees.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home