Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Feels like Monday, but it's not

So, my new primers came in yesterday. They didn't work, either. I'm stumped. I am, of course, trying it one more time today, and then I realized I poured my gel with not enough wells to actually run all the conditions.

yes, I am awake. However, I can't get over this craving for another cup of coffee and a donut, of all things.

Someone in my lab suggested I should try to clone it out of a different tissue source, so I am going to see what I can get to work with. I am thinking this particular part of my project is doomed, though.

The good news is, one of my other experiments worked, suggesting that my original hypothesis was correct. So I am frantically running around trying to do a bunch of experiments now that I'm more convinced I'm on the right track. Not very convinced, though, so we're also going to try to send samples off for independent verification that this is not another bizarre mixup with an indirect, although interesting, effect in my assay.

In other news, I have to go to a bachelorette party this weekend, and it's sounding like it could be really hellish. I barely know these people, so I'm wondering why I couldn't have come up with some plausible excuse... oh wait, I did! I managed to squirm out of going to Vegas, so they decided to have the party locally instead. And then, for some reason, I balked at squirming again.

I'm a horrible, antisocial person. I know this. But when they send emails telling us to dress up and "Show what you got", or something, the idea of pantyhose and heels just makes me want to go to bed early in flannel pj's.

And... what else. This morning I was reading the alumni magazine for my college. There was a reference to a joke about women who attend only to get their "Mrs" degree, and it made me physically ill. The only person I ever met who proudly admitted to being on the prowl for a husband (aside from several female PhDs I know who put off commitment for their careers) was someone who did not attend my college. I sincerely doubt there are that many girls attending Ivy League schools with marriage as their only goal in mind for their four years - and tuition.

2 Comments:

At 8:42 AM, Blogger GrrlScientist said...

Do you really need to dress up that much? I guess I am a bad person, but I never wear heels and panty hose unless I want to .. especially since heels will guarantee I will be taller than everyone at the party, unless we are partying with the basketball team. Of course, shyness and anti-socialness can be (somewhat) overcome with lots of liquor, so that's always an option, although booze ruins your dancing abilities. ;)

GrrlScientist

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Ms.PhD said...

well, I'm short, so heels of some sort are pretty much required with a skirt or dress. otherwise i look like i'm playing dress-up.

and i'm not shy. at all. but stupid people annoy me, and so do drunk people. drunk me annoys me, too. so it's a matter of titration, i think- just enough so that everyone seems tolerable, not so much that i regret it later.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home