Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Movies Meme

Well kids, I am very tired today, due to a massive dose of antihistamines the last couple of days. Don't ask. Anyway since utenzi tagged me, I will try to think of a few movies for you to munch on, in semi-chronological order of when I saw them and liked them. I don't necessarily still like all of these as much as I did then, not by a long shot. And I'm sure some anal-retentive person will correct me if I list them in the wrong order of when they were made:

The Wizard of Oz
The Muppet Movie
West Side Story
Cabaret
Flashdance
Footloose
Fame
Grease
Top Gun
The (original) Star Wars Trilogy
Lorenzo's Oil
Medicine Man
the Indiana Jones movies
Dead Again
GI Jane
Sliding Doors
Fight Club
Shrek
Memento
Minority Report
Along Came Polly
Bend it Like Beckham
The Truman Show
The Sixth Sense
Signs
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

I'm sure I'm forgetting many movies that deeply influenced me, or at least that I wanted to see more than once, but right now I'm mostly just trying to stay awake. I spent most of the day re-writing cover letters and research proposals for job applications. To the person who commented that maybe I should just go to biotech, the answer is no thanks, I don't want to go there. Maybe when I'm sufficiently beaten down by this whole process. Give me at least another year, and about a week of solid sleep.

8 Comments:

At 9:48 PM, Blogger utenzi said...

Nice list, YFS. I was shocked when I saw you made it. Especially as tired as you are these days.

I loved Fight Club and Bend it like Beckham and should have included them on my list. Along Came Polly I just saw a few weeks ago and Jennifer Anniston is just so sweet that she makes the whole movie. Debra Messing in interesting too though she plays the heavy. Good call, YFS--and thanks for playing Movies Meme.

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger utenzi said...

Interesting thought, Tim. A theme based movie list for science types. I'll have to put one on my blog this week, maybe today. And tag a few people in other job types to carry on the tradition. A lovely idea, Tim.

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Junniper, MPA said...

I saw Sliding Doors by accident once (we missed our movie and figured we'd just go to some random one). I really liked it, and I don't think it got nearly enough attention as it should have. Most people haven't even heard of it!

Hope the histamines aren't driving you too batty.

 
At 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice collection of movies.

I would throw in GATTACA, but not everyone liked it. I loved it.

btw - speaking of biotech vs academia.

have you read the article "Don't become a Scientist" by Jon Katz?

http://wuphys.wustl.edu/~katz/scientist.html

something to think about

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger hannahhas said...

Okay, so this might totally be off the scientific tip... but no Goonies as a kid?

That movie is legendary.

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Ms.PhD said...

I've seen Goonies, Gattaca, and Frankenstein. I also saw Dead Ringers, which I think is the scariest movie of all time.

You might notice that while I sometimes identify with male characters, all three of those movies are very boy-centric. That's probably why they didn't influence me a whole lot.

Frankenstein (the Kenneth Branagh version) gave me horrible nightmares for months, btw. The whole thing with making the bride just gives me the willies.

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Ms.PhD said...

re: Jon Katz, that's AWESOME! All undergrads should read that, everyone at NSF, the National Academies, and all University Deans who go around promoting graduate school just to recruit TAs.

 
At 7:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that's probably the only list on the planet that has both GI Jane and Lorenzo's Oil. LO is such a wonderful movie; it's just a stunning film. I love Nick Nolte's character -- it's a rare example of a man simply thinking his way out of a problem.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home