Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Jealousy and Nebulosity

So, nebulosity first. My advisor just sent me some info about something she wants me to apply for. It's not a faculty position, but when I tried to ask her more about it she got all snippy, even though they really don't describe what it is on the website. I think it's a glorified posdoc position, which might be fine and probably a step up from a glory-free and thankless postdoc position, but it was the snippiness that really pissed me off. God forbid I should ask for more information and a tiny bit of communication! It would be really funny if they invited me to visit and I had to ask them at the interview just what it is they think they're recruiting me for! Somehow I don't expect that this will be any different than applying for faculty positions, though, so I'm not expecting any phone calls.

Next, on to jealousy. So I just got one of those 'change of contact info' emails from a friend from high school who just got a faculty position. Granted, of all the people I know, she will be the perfect young professor, works really hard and totally deserves it. But it makes me ill anyway.

Meanwhile, it looks like this other guy I know is going to get a publication in a really top-notch journal, just because he's connected to one of the editors and the timing happens to be right. It's just one of those things, I'm not sure he deserves it, but I'm not sure I should be surprised, either. We all know this is how it works now, so I should probably just be happy for him that he has the opportunity to take advantage of the system. Or something.

1 Comments:

At 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps you should look for a position in biotech insteads of aiming for a faculty position. There is not wrong with biotech....the bottom line is that you are doing science to people either as a faculty or as a scientist in a biotech.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home