Tuesday, January 24, 2006

No good news

I'm having one of those days, I spent the first several hours trying not to cry for no reason (hormones), and finally broke down when a friend came in to talk to me about science stuff. Of course I couldn't articulate what was wrong, since it's sort of everything and nothing, aka, the usual. Just too much frustration, or something.

Of course I always feel like an idiot when this happens. One good reason to consider going back on the pill, since it tends to damp out the moodswings.

So I'm seriously considering just going home. Not that I know what I would do there. But I think I'm too upset to work on anything important today. And apparently my office will be unusable tomorrow, for reasons I won't go into, which is okay since I have other things I could be doing. But I have been hoping since last week to set up some more experiments, after talking to a friend about some confusing results and finally feeling like I'm slowly narrowing down the possibilities of what I should be doing to sort things out. Sometimes I really wish I had the sort of job where I could just come in for a few hours and get something done, instead of having to plan several days in advance, get the cells ready, etc. and then be committed to doing the experiment that day or wasting all the material.

Honestly right now I feel like I could go home and sob for hours and just end up with a migraine. So I know it wouldn't help anything. But I have yet to find something that helps consistently when I feel this way. I hate being a girl.

8 Comments:

At 4:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, that sucks.
i'm female but not hormonally susceptible, myself... but one woman i know is. she just doesn't work on the day or two that she doesn't feel well. better that, than setting yourself up to get judged at work.

are you sure this isn't just stress? not 'hormones'?

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger post-doc said...

I feel that way sometimes, and hate it! I start to feel all pathetic and abused, which makes me even more sad, so I often work from home on days like that.

I'm sorry though. I really hope your day got a lot better.

 
At 1:20 AM, Blogger Dr. J said...

I spent all of yesterday in tears as well. Hell when it happens.

 
At 8:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not female, but your comment about coming in for a few hours and actually accomplishing something resonates with me way over here in law practice. So much of litigation seems to be involved with friction. Didn't Clausewitz say something to the effect that war is friction and that although matters of war are very simple, the simplest things become impossible in war? Hang in there, YFS.

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Joolya said...

Someone told me that during PMS your estrogen is lowest, testosterone highest, so that is what being a man is like all the time. I don't know if this is true, but it sort of makes me feel better (instead of one bad week, we get three good weeks!) when I start weeping into the microscope or yelling at me loved ones.
Hope you feel better.

 
At 9:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

a little more unsolicited wisdom: exercise helps with mood, if you don't want to take the pill.

i used to end up weepy at work (rarely visibly), but since i straightened out my love life, it's muchmuch better -- there was one less bad thing piled on my head.

i hope you're feeling better soon.

 
At 1:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard that about exercise but I've been working out every other day and I still felt like crap all this week! So I don't really believe it.

B

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Ms.PhD said...

Exercise=good. Time to exercise this week=zero. Hopefully will make it to the gym tomorrow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home