Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Funny funny!

Oh, the people who read this blog are a laugh riot.

The comment Newton made- and correct me if this is apocryphal!- about standing on the shoulders of giants, I'm told, was sarcastic.

I figured the comment about Darwin wasn't true, so thank you to the person who gave us a link for that. But hey, as a literary device, it worked well enough for my purposes! And oh so interactive.

The scientists who graciously credit those who came before them, and their peers, are very few. I think most people who have been reading this can agree to that much.

I love the idea of the 'herd of independent thinkers'. I'm not sure how that works but I get your point and I think it's a valid one.

For the person who studied economics and chemistry and says postdocs should form unions: THANK YOU. We are the fruit pickers. I've known this for a long time. Why else do they let us wear jeans to work?

For almost everyone else, HAVE YOU NO SHAME???. Case in point, here's a sampling of the glorious typos and mis-spellings in the many idiotic, though some thoughtful, and some in defense of me, all of them clearly passionate, including the person saying it doesn't matter if you're passionate about what you work on. This is just from the comments posted most recently:

"occured"

"Try to think of something entreprenorial to do, do it, and quit bitching."

"so we end up staying in school to long ." (this one might be my favorite)

"The point is that intellegent resource allocation must take place, and you seem to have conviently missed this point so you can talk about rhetorical questions and let everybody know what a fruitcake you are."

" So by stating, "I'm irreplaceable" you are implying that you are ideas, technical skills, and project exection are orders of magnitude better than your peers. Am I right? That statement seems ludicrous and sould only apply to scientists whose ideas revolutionize SCIENCE like Newton, Darwin, Einstein."

Here's a hint: If you want to be credible, if you want us to believe that you're smart, USE A SPELLCHECKER. God knows you don't deserve a PhD if a) you can't spell on your own AND b) these helpful little tools, invented by people much smarter than you(!), are too difficult for you to grasp.

8 Comments:

At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you can really tell when someone is losing an argument, when they invoke grammar and spelling smack.

yes, those people should get their spelling right.. no doubt.

but really, it only makes you look like a tool if that's the best counter argument you've got going.

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Milo said...

That is the fun part of running a blog...you get to say things like "I'm rubber and your glue" and you don't really care if it is a good argument or not.

 
At 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The phrase "intellectuals = herd of independent thinkers" is a rather well known (maybe thats and exaggeration) saying, thats why I put quotes around it. I believe it was some philosopher who is credited with first saying it, but I can't rememeber who right now.
And to the first commenter above, I like your use of the word tool. Very 1990's.
Petroleum derived fuels are getting really expensive.

 
At 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok let me get this straight. You are not replaceable but you would like to join a union. A union's PRIMARY objective is to protect the jobs of their members. Why join if you are irreplaceable?

By the way, your fourth grade response to criticism is LAME (i.e., if your comments offend me I'll delete them AND I don't have any thoughtful rebuttals so I'll attack their diction). GROW UP.

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger RPM said...

We are the fruit pickers. I've known this for a long time. Why else do they let us wear jeans to work?

Whoa there! Do you think you need stop wearing jeans once you've jumped on the tenure track? I have to try hard to make sure I underdress my advisor (note: I did not write "undress"). If I can't wear a t-shirt and jeans to work, the job's not for me.

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger Papa Bear said...

Go unions!

Seriously though - spelling? I check some of my spelling as I go, but blogger doesn't have spell check for comments, Like most people, I don't have all day to worry about making blog comments perfect. The occasional minor typo - you just have to let it slide.

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger Joolya said...

Anonymous, did you read my comment about replaceability? Or YFS's?

I don't always agree with everything on this blog, either, but you are just being mean and cranky. Please go away and let the other kids play with the ball. You can come back when you learn how to play nicely.

Unless you'd like to do a little group theraphy about the roots of your bitterness . . .

 
At 5:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm Anon#1 -- with the Newton Quote.

The idea that the quote is sarcastic is highly debated. (Newton's biggest rival was Hooke who was of quite short height.) The essence of the quote can be heard from Bernard of Chartres (~1130) who said:

"We are like dwarfs sitting on the shoulders of giants. We see more than they do, indeed even farther; but not because our sight is better than theirs or because we are taller than they. Our sight is enhanced because they raise us up and increase our stature by their enormous height."

I find it somewhat sad to see that my comment was interpreted as "bitter".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home