Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Very quick post- more later

Went to a fabulous talk today by a young female PI.

Hooray! Don't get to see nearly enough of this kind of thing. Another role model! They are so hard to find.


Also, a note to stubborn students:

I don't know what to tell you besides this. If you ask for my advice, and don't take it, I will be annoyed. Similarly if you complain all the time but don't ask for my advice, or ignore it, I will be annoyed (You are annoyed already).

However, please DO retain that attitude of thinking you know better than me (and everyone else). In some ways, you do.

Put it in a lockbox, because you will need it again someday soon enough when you have to ask yourself,

"Do I have the balls to a) send my paper to a High Impact Journal? b) apply for faculty positions?"

You will ask yourself, What happened to my Know-It-All Attitude? How do I get it back? So make sure you write down the combination to your lock box in a safe place.

In the meantime, I will try to remember not to beat it completely out of you.

Sincerely,

Your Mentor

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 7:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

god that's a wonderful piece of writing. And so true. Here's hoping you have the combination to your own lockbox.

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

That's fantastic.

 
At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
I'm in need of some help and thought this would be a good place to go.
I'm writting career goals and statement of purpose for a fellowship and have been searching the web for a good site that gives advice on writting these.
Does anyone here at Young Female Scientist know of a good site?

thanks

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Rajarshi said...

Do you have an RSS feed for the blog?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home