Thursday, March 22, 2007

All's well that ends with YFS not killing anyone after all.

Today did not turn out at all like I expected.

Despite a morning full of irritating reminders that nobody seems to listen to me around here, and reminders that I'm the only female far too often at work, the day ended on a good note.

Most everyone has already gone home, and I am loving the peace and quiet.

I am eating a healthy snack, and then I will go to the gym. So there.

I am also loving the fact that, with some help from colleagues and some genuine give and take- equitable, even!- I made some serious progress today.

Leaps and bounds.

Amazing how sometimes you can bang away at something for years, and then one day it just works, exactly like it was supposed to, because you finally got it right.

I love those days. I love knowing that I was right to think it would work eventually.

Reaffirming whatever I have that passes for faith in myself and in science.

So nevermind that they measure things in man hours.

Nevermind that the guy complained by telling a story about his wife, and then ending by generalizing his problem to all wives, everywhere. Nevermind that guys like him make me never want to get married, ever.

Nevermind that when I say it, nothing happens, so I repeat it and clarify it and put it in writing, but nothing happens. But when a man says it, it happens instantaneously.

Nevermind all of that. Fuck em.

Man hours must be longer than woman hours, so far as I can tell.

And the men I've found who are worth working with know that, or work faster to keep up.

Amen.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 3:47 PM, Blogger hgg said...

And nevermind that if you tell a joke you're ignored and if a man tells the same joke a little later, the same people find it hilarious.

 
At 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Nevermind that the guy complained by telling a story about his wife, and then ending by generalizing his problem to all wives, everywhere. Nevermind that guys like him make me never want to get married, ever."

Well, at least not married to a wife. Not that a girl can get a legal wife, even if she does want one.

Seriously, it was attitudes like that which made me glad to be doing field research instead of lab research. Sure it was hot, humid, and full of biting arthropods, but you knew it wasn't personal. Plus, the bullshit was the innocuous sort of the bison kind.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home