Thursday, September 13, 2007

Unmotivated and unfocused.

I'm not usually in this mood, where I just don't want to do any work at all. But here I am, uninspired to even try. Maybe I'm just tired or hungry, or both... hopefully this won't last all afternoon, because if there's one thing I don't want, it's to feel guilty about not getting anything done today.

Maybe I should focus on the guilt and self-loathing for being lazy.

Was talking to a friend last night about her high-paying job, which she nonetheless finds unsatisfying most of the time. She said she realizes she shouldn't be whining about it, there are a lot of worse jobs out there.

So today I was thinking about jobs I would not want to do. They include:

garbage collector
mail delivery person
the person who washes hair at a salon
dishwasher at a restaurant
line cook at a fast food joint
gynecologist/obstetrician
tuba player
Victoria's secret model
sports photographer
zookeeper
preschool teacher
personal shopper
accountant



Jobs I wouldn't mind include:

bus or taxi driver
chef
hairdresser
coffee shop owner
librarian
clergy
freelance writer
circus performer
psychologist


What about you? Whatever is wrong with my brain today, it's making me run out of steam. What are some more jobs I'm forgetting to consider?

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 8:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds fun, have you considered:

chocolatier
pharmacist
hand model
first grade teacher
perfume chemist (or at least the person who runs tests on them?)
advertiser (designing ads seems fun)
using science to understand why people insist on being biased
voice over actor
hospital activities coordinator

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger bender said...

I hear you... though I've been unmotivated, unfocused, AND uninspired since my dissertation was approved in April.

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger hgg said...

bartender (done that, I'd like to do it again)? fisher (nope, get sea sick too easily)? pilot (I'd love that)? lawyer (hell no)?

Of your no-list, I'd kind of like the idea of being Victoria's secret model but I doubt Victoria would have me. Obstetrician yes. Personal shopper would be awesome, spending other people's money!

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger Ms.PhD said...

First anonymous,

I'd pass on all of those except for advertiser, studying bias, and voice over actor. Although I think advertising can be very evil.

Actually I've always thought acting would be fun, but have had no luck finding a weekend acting class I could afford. All the ones around here are on weekdays, smack in the middle of the work day.

And I have always thought that designing makeup/lotions would be fun. But not perfumes, no thank you.

Bender,

That will wear off... sort of. Make sure you take a REAL vacation. I never did, and I've always regretted it.

hypoglycemiagirl,

I think I'm too klutzy to be a bartender, but maybe I'm thinking of Coyote Ugly and not what it would really be like?

I wouldn't like to be a fisherperson, either.

Yeah, pilot, maybe. I like the view from the air and I'm not afraid of heights.

Lawyer, I don't know, maybe in another life, but I'd have to do civil rights stuff if I did it.

 
At 8:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This takes 5 min., maybe less:

On Career Cruising take the "Career Matchmaker" match (left side)

Username: nycareers, Password: landmark.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home