Thursday, November 08, 2007

Yay, productivity.

Had a great venting session with a friend last night, who sounded equally frazzled as me. It was a comfort to us both.

And then watched Bionic Woman and Southpark, both of which were lame, but it gave me an excuse to sit and sip tea.

Got a lot done today so that managed to push off the bad mood. I really do love feeling like I'm getting things done.

Finally got around to analyzing some old data and found that it was good.

Phew! Gotta love that.

Got some new data that will sit on a pile for a while until it can be analyzed, but it looks good enough that I'm pretty sure it will serve for what I needed.

Also phew!

Put in face time at one of the gigs I was supposed to attend (skipped the other in favor of doing actual experiments).

Check, face time.

Did not have lunch at all again today, was too busy, but dinner is soon.

Yay, dinner.

Did not do everything I wanted to do today and will not finish it all tonight, but I am getting better at not stressing about leaving some things for the weekend, they can sit in the cold room and they should be okay.

Yay, for four degrees and slowing things down.

What's the rush, after all?

Was surprised though when somebody told me that Monday is a holiday. Am 99% certain everyone in my lab will be here plugging away as usual.

Can't quite bring myself to plan for the next few days yet. Maybe because plans for this week proved a bit overambitious - can only be in one place at a time, after all.

Week 2 and I do think the light box therapy is helping. I don't know if I'm really seasonally affected or just chronically starved for light, but it helps me wake up in the morning and I think I have more stamina, oddly enough, during the day. At least I don't crash in the afternoons like I used to. Which is pretty critical when you really need to be working at least 10 hours a day.

Here's hoping I can finish the bare minimum tonight without fucking anything up and go home before midnight.

Seriously though. Dinner, any minute now. Yay. I am starving.

5 Comments:

At 4:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just found out Monday is a "holiday" myself. But who has time for a holiday when grants are due?

 
At 7:07 AM, Blogger yajeev said...

Sort of sad... people seem a lot more excited to comment on your negatively themed posts than your positive ones.

Congrats on the productivity and, more importantly, the dinner. Was it good???

And, yeah, I'm pretty sure no one in my lab will be even the vaguest bit aware that Monday is a so-called holiday.

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Ms.PhD said...

Anonymous-
Indeed. Good luck with yours.

Thanks Yajeev!
Dinner was okay, I would have eaten anything so I didn't mind that it wasn't spectacular.

Then I got up this morning and came to work, it was one of those mornings where I spent the whole way in debating whether it was worth getting out of bed. Only to attend a meeting. And now I am regretting it.

Bad meeting. Very irritating. Should have stayed in bed, I think.

Must try to shake off bad mood before it eats the rest of my day.

Am already looking forward to dinner tonight, which should be much more spectacular than yesterday's.

 
At 1:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

light therapy totally works. are you using the slightly blue wavelength of light? i hear that produces better results. ah, evolution and vision...

 
At 5:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahhhaa Your blog is funny. :) I'm a 2nd year and just starting to learn what the "rules" of lab are... so face time is important huh?? Ugh, can they write this all down in a book or something... I've recently learned rule #543: You don't have to ask about everything! I've been drowning in all my class notes, data, protocols, journal club papers, etc etc etc. I finally took the liberty of bringing in some bookcases tonight and organizing and I feel so much better! I think (hope) my advisor will be very proud. Cheers :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home