Thursday, December 13, 2007

A maybe yay.

I think my experiments are finally back on track. I'm afraid to say it out loud though, because I am a little superstitious about the mysterious part between adding the reagents and getting the result.

So I am glad because I got some data today. But I am also tired, almost too tired to muster a 'yay!'

Tomorrow I will hope to keep building momentum. Last night I actually went home and read papers (while watching Project Runway) for the first time in a while. And I didn't mind.

I used to read journal articles almost every night. But lately I've been running around during the day a lot and so annoyed in general that I couldn't work before bed, or risk not being able to sleep for anger or anxiety.

But I am hoping things are on the upswing. I like the part where I get to read papers and think about my latest results.

I especially like it when I can perform the reaction:

idea + reagents = experiment ----> results.

Keeping in mind that all steps of this reaction are reversible, and it only yields product in the presence of large doses of hard work.

And here I add a letter of the sort profgrrrrl likes to write:

Oh, benchwork. Sometimes you are a soothing, meditative activity that doesn't feel like work at all. And sometimes you are a ball and chain.

I love you benchwork, but I am ready for our relationship to progress to a new level. Let's try to get there together. Sooner would be good. Is soon good for you?

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 6:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm afraid to say it out loud though, because I am a little superstitious about the mysterious part between adding the reagents and getting the result.

Heh, that's why I always have to laugh at "skeptics" who play at being scientists. Research has made me *so* much more superstitious than I ever was before grad school. My lucky shirt, my lucky CDs, my lucky dance while the film runs through the processor...

 
At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

More power to you. I hate reading papers, it is so boring. Never in my scientific career to date have I spent my free time reading papers, unless I absolutely had to (i.e. a journal club or a paper very relevant to my work). This is one of the reasons why I'll never want to be an academic P.I. I just don't care enough about the minutiae. I get excited by science when something works, but the inevitable down time when things don't work bores me to tears. Its the people like me who perhaps shouldn't have gotten a PhD in the first place (and I know you hold us in very low regard based on comments you've made in the past, whatever). I do love science, and wouldn't give my PhD back for anything (well, maybe a LOT of money), but day to day working in a lab is just not my idea of fulfillment. Nor is sitting in an office begging the NIH for money.

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger EcoGeoFemme said...

It's great to see you in a good mood, with your work going well. :)

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Ms.PhD said...

CC,
I said a *little* superstitious. I don't have lucky objects. But you do the film dance too??!! I thought it was just me.

EcoGeoFemme,
Thanks! At least it is going, for now. I'm crossing my fingers!

 
At 1:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, msphd,

here's a practical question for you or your readers.

i'm a grad student. i perform pubmed literature searches daily on the key words of my thesis project. most of my reading, then, is directly related to my thesis project. how do you find or decide which papers to read that are outside your narrow area of focus?

any advice is appreciated.

sincerely,
anon grad student wannabe reader

 

Post a Comment

<< Home