Friday, January 25, 2008

More random musings.

I'm reading a new book right now and it has been really inspiring. The section I'm in right now talks about hunting. The description matches perfectly with what I like about research: being in absolute observation mode, with every muscle and neuron poised to act on the right cue. Taking aim with skill and hitting the mark dead on.

I wish I could quote the book directly, but I've told so many people about it that I'm sure it would out me.

Anyway it reminded me of what I like about my job, and what I think I'm good at, and made me wonder what the hell else is there where you get to use that part of your brain so much?

Apparently hunting is the life for me?

Any other ideas for jobs like that? The only other thing I could think of might be as a recruiter, some kind of talent-spotter for Hollywood or modeling? Get it? Like a Headhunter?

Except for the part where I have no pedigree!

Yes, mediocrity is the life for me.

***

I'm really having a lot of trouble rising above. People treat me like a grad student, I tend to act like one. And lately since I'm doing a lot of wallpapering, like I did as a grad student, I can't help feeling like I'm reverting backwards into what could potentially be called the worst part of my life thus far.

When I say reverting, I mean I'm dressing like I did then, wearing my hair like I did then, and eating badly. I had been so good last year, but this year I am reverting to eating badly. Because I am too tired after a day of wallpapering to cook anything.

There is one sweet grad student in the lab who actually congratulated me the other day when I thought things were working correctly.

This morning I was thinking about a student I had a few years ago. I told her if she wanted to work with me and learn to do wallpapering, one thing she should do is cut her nails. She didn't want to do that, even though she said her ultimate goal was med school.

Um, I wouldn't want someone with those nails operating on me.

Anyway she didn't last that long, less than a year, and now she's working at a company. I picture her now, wallpapering at the company with her long fingernails.

I guess I have a lot of baggage about wallpapering. Sooner or later, someone will probably come up with robots to do it (and maybe there already are, but we can't afford them). Until then, it is monkey work for me.

Yes, monkey work is the life for me.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At 2:11 PM, Blogger ena7800 said...

http://www.newsweek.com/id/101079?GT1=10755

i came across this today and thought you might enjoy reading this. i think this says a lot about the differences between women and men.

 
At 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What do you mean by the term wallpapering besides putting fabric on the wall?

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger Ms.PhD said...

ena,

thanks, i hadn't seen that.

anon,

are you kidding? you're kidding, right?

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger EcoGeoFemme said...

"Any other ideas for jobs like that?"

Day trader.

 
At 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't get what you mean by wallpapering, either....

 
At 5:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

are you really striving for greatness or are you just trying to get a (tenure track) job? if you were on the tenure track, would you finally feel at ease? or would you still be lamenting about being mediocre?

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Ms.PhD said...

EGF,

I don't see it. I suck at all things money.

Anon 5:28,

Am I really striving for greatness? Sheesh, that's a whole other post. Maybe I'll write it now, before my timer goes off.

 
At 7:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wallpapering is obviously some slang that I've never heard of before either...

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger ScienceGirl said...

I hope you are back to hunting soon (is there a better way to mix hunting and wallpapering?)

 
At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't get the wallpapering either.

 
At 1:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the term wallpapering is nice but the image in my head involves using a paint roller to idle the time away. like that guy on murphy brown.

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Ms.PhD said...

funny, i don't remember that guy from murphy brown.

i guess i was thinking more of how when you're wallpapering, you have to use your fingernails to get the old wallpaper down before you can put the new stuff up. it can take forever to get all the little shreds cleaned up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home