Friday, December 28, 2007

Followup on Leopard upgrade.

Oh, how I hate upgrades. The funny thing about upgrades is, they make everything stop working for a while.

As Seinfeld would say, What's UP with THAT????

Yes, I have to upgrade from CS2 to CS3. I knew I would need to do this, and I didn't buy the upgrade ahead of time for a variety of reasons, none of which seem to make any sense now.

So what are my choices?

a) order it online and wait for 3.2 GB download.
I don't think so! I'm sure my connection would die in the middle!

b) order it online and wait for ... days? for a $400 box that I hope doesn't get lost in the mail (or stolen).
I don't think so!

c) attempt to enter a store, in a mall, during the mad post-christmas shopping rush. Aaaack!
Not my idea of fun!

d) wait for the campus computer store to re-open when the semester starts.
I can't wait that long!

I don't like these choices!!

Yes, I lost all my printer settings and haven't gotten around to putting them back in.

Yes, most work is stopped until I get CS3 and printing fixed.

No, I can't afford to be not working.

Yes, I will be fixing these things over the weekend.

Yes, I am annoyed about this.

No, it's not really worth the one or two cute features in Leopard that I like, or the very slight increase in speed (irrelevant when considered in terms of time lost fixing these other problems)!

No, I'm NOT happy with Apple right now!!

I love how they make fun of Vista on their commercials, and then their own upgrade is not exactly a giant leap into the amazing future. Grrrr!

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At 2:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been using CS1 with Leopard without any problems (although its the PPC version so it runs via rosetta, so it's a bit slow)...other things, like my statistical software, howver, have broken....grrrrr.

hope you get it sorted out

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger Unbalanced Reaction said...

Sucky, sucky. I love my MacBook Pro, but I won't be upgrading to Leopard any time soon. Hope you're up and running soon!

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Ms.PhD said...

Mark,

CS2 applications started out okay, and I thought I would be able to do a few things, albeit slowly.

Then it crashed. Can't be partway through making something and have it crash in the middle.

Decided to wait for campus to reopen so I can get the academic price upgrade.

Meanwhile I'm hunting down other software I need and have been putting off buying... even the stuff online makes you wait a day after registering to get the open access license codes... stupid and slow.

 
At 8:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you tried any open-source alternatives?

Free, open, happy, and the ability to talk directly to the developers who are often eager to provide fixes/updates (for free).

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger Ms.PhD said...

CH,

No, not really. I've heard good things about one, I think it's called Create?

But my needs are pretty specific and I'm in the middle of several projects right now, not really a good time to switch. Maybe when I finish the current round I'll look into playing with some other options.

Also, I'm kind of the nightmare impatient, demanding user. There are tons of features I want, and developers can never seem to satisfy me fast enough.

I had to laugh because I emailed the guys who wrote EnzymeX to ask them to add a simple annotation box, and they said "yeah, we know, we're working on it."

(drumming fingers on table...)

yeah, not fast enough to help me right now!

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Ms.PhD said...

Note added in proof:

printer settings had to be restored from system backup. apparently they didn't transfer (just 1 file!) during the upgrade to leopard.

doh!

Um, Mac? People? Please fix this.

Thanks.

 
At 5:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mac? What's a Mac? Oh, that's right...it has something to do with that iPod thing.

I'm always amazed that Mac users tend to see their computers as friends and PC users see their computers as machines.

I'm just teasing here, so Mac users don't get all bent out of shape and write all kind of nasty things that might make me cry.

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Ms.PhD said...

Funny you should say that, JR. It's totally true.

Right now I'm ready to cry because I don't have software to do what I need, can't afford some of it and the rest doesn't exist.

If I knew how to tell machines to do what I want, I wouldn't have this problem.

Macs make great friends, and they can run windows on a virtual machine. You can have it all, so long as you don't need anything above or beyond what's been done before.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home