Thursday, July 03, 2008

4 random vignettes

1. Overheard my advisor saying some things I wish I hadn't, but what else is new.

[insert cartoon headshake and appropriate sound effect here]



2. Had a PI talk to me like an actual colleague yesterday, that was fun and unusual.



3. Have an event coming up later in the month that should be science-fun, so I'm looking forward to that.



4. Have some backtracking to do of various sorts, both bench-wise and hard-drive-overfull-wise.

Sometimes backtracking experiments is nice, because reproducing results is always a relief (in that okay-good-I-didn't-just-imagine-that kinda way).

Computer-wise, I just hate that my memory is my weakest link, and over the years I have constructed elaborate systems to cope, using various levels of note-taking and other documentation.

But having to re-read all of that takes a lot of time, and often makes me feel like the main character in Memento when he discovers his tattoos and then realizes he put them there.

Oh yeah, these are my notes to myself... Right. Where was I. And how far will I get before I get distracted and forget again.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 9:25 PM, Blogger Dr. Jekyll and Mrs. Hyde said...

Sometimes I read entire papers that I've read before--but I only know that I've read it before because of the scribbled notes in the margin in my handwriting. My memory's a weak link, too.

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Unbalanced Reaction said...

Love the Memento reference. I felt that way all through grad school, but then, while writing the intro to my thesis, something clicked. I was able to recall info from exact papers, which ended up saving me a lot of time. I hope I can experience that again in the future!

 
At 3:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought I was the only person with this problem. I am nearing the end of the process and I forget lots of the literature. I can remember things that I've read, but I often forget who wrote what. It makes me feel like a complete idiot that just stumbled into a Ph.D. program. I've never heard anyone else say they forget articles they've read!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home