Monday, April 05, 2010

The bloggysphere

I just tried to leave a comment on a blog, and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't let me. I thought I was typing the word recognition thing wrong. Again.

Then I looked more carefully. Turns out that blog's comments are restricted to "team members". What the-?

Maybe if you want to have a blog and comments, but restrict who can write comments, and you're too lazy to moderate them, you shouldn't bother making your posts open to the public at all. Amirite?

In other words, Fuck me? No, Fuck you!

Or I could just write my little comments over here on my blog, with lots of links to their blog, in the hopes that they might let me join their little club if my insights are insightful enough?

WTF.

In other news, I had a good laugh reading a quote from a guy who trains suicide bombers. Either there's a lot of turnover in that job, or the people doing the training have, by definition, no experience in the vocation.

Most hypocritical job on the planet? I think we have a contender.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 11:54 AM, Blogger Lou said...

I agree with you.
I had a similar thing happen to me a few years back. So annoying, and really, what is the point? (More so because they seemed to want to criticise me, but were too afraid to start it by commenting on my post.)

Anyway, that time, I posted a comment on my blog and linked to theirs. A few days later, their blog was closed to the public.
WTF exactly.

 
At 4:42 PM, Anonymous J-bone said...

To be completely objective and fair, the fact that comments on this blog are moderated is similar to a "members-only" policy. In effect, only those comments that you decide on are published. Although it is to a much lesser degree, that shows the same sense of elitism that you're decrying.

Just my $0.02

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Ms.PhD said...

No, J-bone, you're not being "completely objective and fair". Or maybe you're just not aware. Do you have a blog? I didn't really appreciate the nuances of moderating until I had to do it myself.

For the record, I post something like 99.99% of the human-written comments that I get.

I exclude auto-generated spam (some days I get 2 out of 8 comments as repeat spam) and I exclude some (but only a very few) really offensive trolls.

For a long time, I struggled with the decision to delete troll messages. My more recent thoughts about it are here.

Mostly I do it because I don't like to see it on other blogs, and I don't want my readers to have to see it here. Personally, I think it's stressful as a blog reader when the comments are nasty and off-topic. It hijacks discussion and contributes nothing.

But quite a few anti-YFS messages get through my moderating, because if they are reasonably well-written I think it is educational for all of us.

These kinds of comments illustrate quite nicely what we're dealing with: an outspoken, educated, articulate, powerful opposition who continue to persist in their beliefs that they know better than we do and have more right to say it than we do.

 
At 10:10 AM, Anonymous J-bone said...

Fair enough. I don't have a blog and don't know the tribulations of having trolls spam it. Usually I'm the one crawling out from under the bridge to ask for the toll.

Thanks for the reply.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home