Monday, October 03, 2005

Job Search Stress with a capital J S S

I sent another one today. I'm up to about 30 so far. The only 'feedback' I've received are those occasional affirmative action forms you get in the mail. You know, the ones they swear won't be linked back to your applications? I think I mentioned this before, one of my friends noted that she only got those forms from places that rejected her outright. Our theory is that they have to get the paperwork done so at least they can say they had a certain number of women apply , even though they had no intention of actually hiring any .

Sigh.

Meanwhile I'm taking Tagamet, drinking Aveda tea and having nightmares. This morning's nightmare was bizarre, it involved some kind of large bear/dog-like animal arriving on the ocean, there were two of them. I was in a house on the beach, I think there may have been a couple of other people there, I think they were women. Anyway we were terrified the animals would get in, and we closed all the doors and I started to open the back window to escape. But then the animals got in and they turned into guys with red spots on their faces.

???? According to my dream book, dogs are good, the ocean is good, windows are good, I think. Nothing about guys with red spots on their faces.

Anyway, I am an expert at coping with stress, really I am. I exercise, I eat healthy stuff, and all that. I only drink 1 cup of coffee a day, but I think I should try to cut that out again, too. Very sad. I was so enjoying being able to drink coffee!

But I am wishing I had some kind of magical cure for this stress, since I am pretty sure it's irrational. Either I get interviews this year, or I don't. Either way, it's not the end of the world. So why do I feel like I have cancer of the puppy?

Speaking of Joss Whedon references, we went to see Serenity this weekend. It was great, btw. And I'm doing experiments again, which is kind of fun for the moment (until I find out whether anything actually worked).

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 12:11 PM, Blogger ScienceWoman said...

Good luck with the job search. I am hoping to finish my Ph.D. next summer, so I am in the first round of applications. I'm thinking my chances are pretty slim because the only paper I've even got in review at this point is just in a conference proceedings. But if I could only have a few more days to work on research (instead of job apps due Oct. 15) I could actually have two more in review. I'm afraid it's a zero-sum game for me. Anyways, I'm enjoying reading your blog and if you want someone to commiserate with, you can read mine

 
At 9:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't fret -- the affirmative action forms arrive in a completely random fashion, independent of how they will ultimately treat your application. Take it as affirmation that your package arrived safely.
Do what you can to stay cool -- don't necessarily cut out the coffee. You might be able to use the caffeine tolerance once you start interviewing.
-bgr

 
At 2:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A new study of 1,000 workers in Europe found that stressful jobs accounted for 45 per cent of new cases of depression. The factors which the scientists isolated as being especially important were excessive demands on the job and extreme time pressures. Not only did they find that these workers, with an average age of 32, were experiencing a high percentage of job-related stress-induced depression, but there appeared to be a 40 percent increase in reports from workers of job stress. http://www.xanax-effects.com/

 
At 11:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi friends,
Nowadays job search is easy one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home