Sunday, August 27, 2006

Working Sunday Night.

Ugh. 'nuff said.






.... Actually, it's really peaceful here, apparently no one else is working tonight-!

I wish it were more like this sometimes during the week. Not all the time, but every once in a while, a little peace and quiet would be most welcome.

So actually, I got a lot done. In a way, I'm almost tempted to stay and continue to be uber-productive (plus virtuosity points). It's not like there's anything great on tv, anyway.

But I have cramps. Calgon, take me away!

(Calgon would, in this scenario, have to drive to work to pick me up, in addition to creating a bubble-bath paradise...)

I like the image of a bottle of bubble-bath driving a car... something about that makes me laugh.

Yes, folks, I need some better painkillers. Pamprin doesn't kick in fast enough, and it's too hot for a ThermaCare.

And I left my magical cramp-curing tea at home. Waaaah.

Crap, and I just realized that the Pamprin I just took might very well keep me up tonight (there's caffeine in it).

Crap! No wonder I've been uber-productive! (must fight caffeine addiction)

And I already have wayyyy too much to do tomorrow. If I were feeling tip-top, I would be able to do 3 experiments at once and get everything done. As it stands right now, I'm doubting that's gonna happen if I'm doubled over with cramps all day.

I'm standing on the edge of a Sunday night, looking out at a vast minefield of the week ahead.

Kind of like with the job search, I guess you just have to plug your nose and watch where you step.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best drug hands down is ibuprofen. Anti-inflammatory as well as a painkiller, and available as a cheaper generic. Tricks: never miss a dose because of short half life in bloodstream, and predose before menstruation by starting a day in advance (particularly handy for those on the pill). Cut back on the salt.

 
At 1:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aleve works for me. I am curious: what is the cramp-curing tea?

-angrygrad

 
At 2:47 AM, Blogger Jill said...

Hey, have you seen this article?

Christine Wennerås and Agnes Wold: "Nepotism and sexism in peer-review", Nature, Vol 387, 22 May 1997, pp 341-343.
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v387/n6631/abs/387341a0.html

Maybe this paper is common knowledge, but I was surprised I hadn't heard more about it - after all its evidence is pretty damning and it's nearly a decade old already. The conclusion? Although applications for post. docs in medical research Sweden are pretty evenly balanced between men and women, men are twice as likely to get a post. doc., and women are consistently scored as having a lower "scientific competence" (based on publications) than are men. However, if you look at their actual publications and impact factor etc, women are NOT less competent than men. In fact, according to this analysis, women would need three extra papers in Nature or Science (impact factor 25 and 22, respectively, or 20 extra papers in a journal with an impact factor of about 3.

The researchers actually got access to the original evaluations and it looks like a really thorough study.

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Ms.PhD said...

magical tea = "Moon Cycle"

it's mostly chamomile and fennel, from what i can tell, but there are a couple other minor components that i don't remember right now. I got it at Whole Foods or one of those hippie-dippy places.

Hooray for dippy hippies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home