Thursday, July 20, 2006

To get a new laptop, or lust after one from afar?

Been reading up on the new MacBooks. I'm tempted to get the black one, partly because I'm still nostalgic for my old square black G3 (I don't care what they say, I hate the 3:2 aspect ratio and I'm sick of the gray).

So here's my thinking:

Con:
1. has been only ~ 3 years since I got my G4, and I'm poor.
2. it's new- might be better to wait and not be the beta-tester.
3. it's new- prices might keep coming down?
4. various uncertainties about whether I'll someday need to do (more) 3D graphics (than the occasional amount I do now) and be better off with the MacBook Pro
5. no excuse not to use Windows-based applications
6. No universal binaries yet for Photoshop or Office
7. tiny screen might be annoying
8. reviews say mixed things about glossy screens, etc.
9. have to buy a DVI adaptor?? Annoying.

Pro:
1. I like the new color- it's stupid psychological stuff, but I'm ready for a change
2. Would be lighter than my G4- I have to lug it around a LOT
3. Would be WAY faster
4. no excuse not to use Windows-based applications
5. glossy screen might be nice
6. it's actually not that expensive for what you get

Got any opinions on this? Anyone reading this blog try them out yet? I'm tempted to head over to the store this weekend and drool on one.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 10:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

IF you are going to play intense 3D games then make sure you get the MacBookPro..

however if you just need it for 3D/Photoshop/Vector graphics etc (meaning 99% of most work related graphics).. just get a MacBook. It has good enough 3D power to do most of what you want to do.

The real difference between the two is just the video card.. the benchmarks for everything else are EXACTLY the same.

besides, There's nothing more stupid than someone who's bought a ferrari and doesn't ever shift beyond gear 3...

 
At 11:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Depending on what you do with them, laptops can really only be relied on for about three years of life. They can go 5 or 6, but by that time....

So, in your position, I would at least start budgeting for a new one, since something might happen to your current one in the next year or so. I'd wait at least three months on the new model - give it time for people to discover the bugs, even if they don't get shaken out. And in 6 months or so, you might have a better idea on the graphics needs and whatnot.

 
At 11:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What would it be like not to use a personal computer for the next 365 days? Pretty nice I bet.

 
At 3:42 AM, Blogger Papa Bear said...

Just (today) getting a new PC-based laptop. Ugh, Macs. :)

Can macs even access grants.gov yet?

 
At 5:54 AM, Blogger skookumchick said...

I heard the glossy screen is a little irritating (maybe distracting is a better word?), but what would sell me is the detachable power cord. I have a G4 Al Powerbook, and only 4 months after I bought it (and put my entire life onto it) I accidentally tripped over the powercord on the way to the telephone and pulled the entire contraption onto the floor, hitting the chair in mid-screen on the way down.

Ouch. And the phone was just Mr. Skookumchick calling to say hi. :-(

The damage? A completely broken LCD screen (cha-ching: $850 including labour) and a dented case, but all my data was fine (thank you Apple hard disk freeze!). The new MacBooks have a magnetic power cord that DETACHES if you trip over it.

And you know the native apps for Office and Photoshop are coming...

Good luck!

 
At 10:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are looking at a new mac, I'd seriously consider holding off until xmas or a bit after. There are new chips coming down the pipe that should help with heat & batter issues, and a lot of software hasn't been rebuilt for intel chips yet....

 
At 5:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your little pro/con lists, they take me back to lost teeange diaries of olde!

Lovin your blog!

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Ms.PhD said...

re: pro/con lists, this made me laugh. I don't actually make decisions this way. And I don't weight every item equally or list them in order of importance!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home