Thursday, June 08, 2006

Thought lost in all the clutter.

All day I wanted to post on Blogger, but it was down. Now it's up and I have time and I can't remember what I was going to say.

Sat around and organized my Safari bookmarks tonight. So pathetic.

Lately I always feel disorganized. I know it's because of one bad habit: I tend to get organized in little retroactive bursts. I don't always put things away in the right places as I collect them. I'm not sure how to quit doing this. I'm good for a little while but eventually I get busy or lazy and stop being conscientious.

This goes for everything I own. I usually get things close, for example, in the right freezer at work, or the place we all know and love called "somewhere on my computer." But actually being organized is another whole level.

I'm a complete Spotlight addict, it's so sad. I need Spotlight for the rest of my life.

But I've noticed lately that I have a lot less patience for hunting around, and way way way more things to keep track of. Tons of phone numbers, email addresses, data files, notebooks, tons of clothing, books, shoes, CDs... I find myself wondering whether it would be worth it to throw away most of my belongings, because then I would know where the remaining stuff actually is most of the time. Does my stuff own me, or do I own my stuff?

Does this have to do with getting old? Lately I also find myself wanting my house to be cleaner. A lot cleaner. I've been a slob for a lot of years, so this is not a bad thing, except for the part where I can't seem to stay organized consistently and end up scrambling to do the periodic mad clean-up spazz.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 1:44 AM, Blogger Dr. J said...

I´ve just moved house and it´s exactly the same. I can´t move for the stuff and it feels like it´s anchoring me. So I got a book and found the website organisedhome.com and for the past week I´ve been throwing, throwing, throwing. It´s been great.

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Johnny Virgil said...

That sudden need for organization and a neater house is just the woman in you coming to the forefront. You must have inadvertently beaten it back with all the science. As you become more specialized in your field, it starts creeping in along the edges. Before you know it, you'll be redecorating.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home