Top ten reasons why I like my kitchen better than my advisor's lab
1. I decide what equipment there is.
2. The equipment is always available.
3. I can go almost any time of the year, with my own money, and get any supplies or additional equipment I want or need.
4. There is a dishwasher.
5. I don't have to repeat experiments. Whether they worked or not. Unless I feel like it. And even then, only when I feel like it, and not because they didn't turn out looking pretty enough.
6. I decide who is there with me.
7. If there is something I want to do that I've never done before, there are probably instructions somewhere on the internet.
8. It is not a competition.
9. If I bring my experiments to other places for people to evaluate, nobody asks, "Whose kitchen did you make this in?" before they decide whether or not they like what I've done.
10. I can cook if I feel like it, and if I don't feel like it, that's okay. We can always eat out.