Friday, December 29, 2006

Top ten reasons why I like my kitchen better than my advisor's lab

1. I decide what equipment there is.

2. The equipment is always available.

3. I can go almost any time of the year, with my own money, and get any supplies or additional equipment I want or need.

4. There is a dishwasher.

5. I don't have to repeat experiments. Whether they worked or not. Unless I feel like it. And even then, only when I feel like it, and not because they didn't turn out looking pretty enough.

6. I decide who is there with me.

7. If there is something I want to do that I've never done before, there are probably instructions somewhere on the internet.

8. It is not a competition.

9. If I bring my experiments to other places for people to evaluate, nobody asks, "Whose kitchen did you make this in?" before they decide whether or not they like what I've done.

10. I can cook if I feel like it, and if I don't feel like it, that's okay. We can always eat out.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 4:59 PM, Blogger KD said...

Maybe it's just because I've had a long day, but this:

9. If I bring my experiments to other places for people to evaluate, nobody asks, "Whose kitchen did you make this in?" before they decide whether or not they like what I've done.


just cracked me up. It's also pretty true - so, nicely put. :)

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger Ms.PhD said...

I'm glad this made you laugh. It makes me smile to know I made somebody else laugh a little.

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger ceresina said...

I totally agree with KD. :-)
(P.S. Sorry if this is twice?)

 
At 8:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Superb. And no. 9 is so true...

 
At 7:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - I thought I was the only one to see the connection between the kitchen and the lab. I only had one reason - When i follow the protocal I get a product. Never once have i opened the oven to find that my cake/muffins/chicken have dissappeared into thin air - like my data or protein often does.
Have you ever thought about how handy a heat/stir plate and a set of stir bars would be in the kitchen?

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger Ms.PhD said...

Yes. See the archive. (note that I'm too lazy to dig up links, as usual.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home