Thursday, October 11, 2007

Re-search.

My experiment didn't work today.

And I'm feeling kind of pathetic about it. Which is stupid, I know, but I guess I was looking forward to getting data, and instead I got to go back to the drawing board.

Hello, drawing board. We know each other well. We spend quality time together a lot.

I know I should go and set things up to try it again, but I just don't feel like it right now.

I'm thinking I'll do it tomorrow, even though it means working on the weekend more than I would like.

I'm thinking I'll go home and try to get psyched up to try this again, and just chalk it up to that's why it's called research.

The worst part is, I think I know why it didn't work, and if I had been super anal about checking my notes from previous experiments, I might have known to tweak this one variable ahead of time, instead of having to re-learn that I kind of already knew that I probably needed to do that.

Argh.

I mean, it's fine, it's not that big of a deal. Nobody died, and that is why I went for the PhD instead of the MD.

I just wish I were more gung-ho, like I used to be when I was a grad student. When it was all about conquests and getting the answer.

Too bad there's no easy way to get that Yee ha cowabunga! spirit back. Once it's gone, you're officially getting old. I am so ready not to be the person actually doing the pipetting anymore.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 7:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Too bad there's no easy way to get that Yee ha cowabunga! spirit back. Once it's gone, you're officially getting old."

Cowabunga? Whoah... you are old Donatello. (sorry, sorry, couldn't help it)

evgeny

 
At 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I run into this all the time - the trick is to care, but not that much - or not to care, but maybe just a little - and to keep at it! I am a chromatin biochemist working with yeast model, which lets face it is easy to work with fast to grow etc so not too much time gets invested in any particular experiment - what do you work with>? Sorry im new to this blog so i have no idea -
Anyways life goes on, keep aggressive! Its all a big game really...
Toronto PDF

 

Post a Comment

<< Home