Tuesday, August 12, 2008

1 good thing this week?

Maybe a few good things so far:

1. My gel was not a total disaster

2. The broken equipment got fixed in a timely manner*

3. A friend is going to help me shop my CV around in a non-academic track that would pay very well, and possibly put some more pressure on my PI to put up or shut up

4. Flight prices are coming down somewhat, so I might get to take that long weekend to visit friends in a place I couldn't afford before

5. Got to see a friend I only see a couple of times a year

6. Two other friends are coming back from their travels, so it will be nice to see them and catch up on all their summer adventures

7. Although I wake up feeling awful most days, by the time I get to lab I feel okay. Then it's just a matter of protecting my mood for as much of the day as possible. Yesterday my mood degraded gradually throughout the day.

8. Stayed up too late watching men's gymnastics, but it was fun.












*although I haven't tried to use it myself yet, maybe I should remain skeptical until it proves fixed...

4 Comments:

At 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Men's gymnastics and swimming is the only thing saving me from shooting myself this week. I just wound up (yet again) on the crap end of the old boys' conference organising network (why gee yes, she was the only person giving a talk on Topic X at this year's huge meeting, so let's be sure to exclude her - and indeed all other women - from the organizing committee for the special meeting on topic X (a topic on which none of us fancy old men has EVER published a paper) that we are planning for next year!). So. Damn. Dispiriting.

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Jeff & Nicki said...

Ditto on the men's gymnastics. It's kind of addictive to watch people do things that would make your arms fall off.

 
At 4:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I really like your blog and find it informative. Although this last post isn't as informative for me, it could be for you: you seem to find happiness when you are around friends (don't we all?). Maybe, on the rough days, even if you don't feel like talking to anyone, you may want to pick up the phone and call one of those people you miss so much. The longer I "do" science, the more I realize that taking time to be with people who care about you, genuinely, can work more wonders for the mood than any great experimental results.

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger Ms.PhD said...

Note added in proof:

The broken equipment got fixed, but several other parts that were working fine before now are not working.

Thanks, repair guy. You're like one of those dudes on the Bud Light commercials.

anon,

please don't shoot yourself.

NJS,

hadn't thought about it that way. kind of comical really, the way you put it.

anon 2,

re: calling friends, yeah, I try. We're in different time zones, both geographically and metaphysically. We go to bed at different times. They have children. etc. Or real jobs that require getting up super early (and therefore, going to bed at 9 pm).

I get tired of leaving pathetic voicemails and playing phone tag, you know?

But you're absolutely right. The only thing, let me emphasize that, THE ONLY THING that got me through grad school was my support system of awesome friends.

Too bad they're all married with children or pets and mortgages now...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home