Wednesday, April 01, 2009

April Fool's Day

As if part of a planned joke, today my university announced a training session on how to rock your academic job interviews. Space is limited! the ad said. Call now to reserve your spot!

When I called to reserve my spot, they said it was for grad students only, and postdocs are not allowed because the class is paid for by student fees.

In other news, I saw something about how the stimulus package is asking for grant applications from schools who need money to re-start their interrupted (un-funded) faculty searches. I don't know if that was also an April 1st joke, but at any rate by the time those get funded, it will probably be too late the help the postdocs whose funding is running out NOW.

Happy April 1st, everybody. Our career choice can only be laughed about, it's so absurdly fucked up.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 1:19 PM, Blogger Joseph said...

Wow. It's a brave new world where PhD students are competitive for faculty jobs. I guess we all do post-doctoral fellowships because we enjoy low pay and status?

 
At 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah-- since when are phd students now getting dibs on clinical translational research training opportunities... I want those too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home