Thursday, May 19, 2005

Cells: Gotta love 'em, gotta hate 'em.

Grrrrr. My "stable" cell lines are doing that thing where, for the last few aliquots, they lasted 10 passages before they became 'unstable', but this time they only made it about 3 passages, and my last 2 experiments didn't really work because of this.

So I don't have a lot I can do right now. I can't order anything because we can't spend any money (I do have things I need to order). I can't do anything because I don't have cells. I can't write anything because I don't have data.

I like science because I'm rarely bored. But right now I'm just not in the mood to read about other people's wonderful research, when I'd rather be doing some of my own.

***

In other news, I am going to see the premiere of Star Wars tonight with some friends. So I have an excuse to leave early today. But I am carpooling so I don't have my car with me, so I can't go home early even though I'm done now...

4 Comments:

At 8:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

/Random lurker/ Not sure what the issue with the cells is but I find it useful to freeze down a few tubes with a million cells or so in case my current cells start acting weird, but maybe you already do that.

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger bd__sd said...

agreemsg: when in doubt, always go back to the original, original cells. don't worry about why the current cells are wonky right away. (although many an almost Nobel Prize maybe be lurking there....)

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger Ms.PhD said...

yes, I have aliquots of early passages. but i get concerned when the rate of change seems to increase every time i thaw an aliquot, even if the aliquots were the same age when frozen down.

and why are people always joking about Nobel prizes? the guy I'm mostly likely to be competing with for jobs just got another Cell paper. I will be happy to be employed, let's not worry about making Huge Earthshaking Discoveries, m'kay?

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger bd__sd said...

Sigh. I hear you. I { learned to cope | finally accepted } that students I used to mentor are getting tenure track positions and I'm still in a peon postdoc at 34. College classmates I didn't think much of have received McArthurs Genius Prizes, etc. I'm never going to run a 20 person lab with $millions in funding. I don't even want the small teaching college job anymore. Not sure what I want anymore.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home