Friday, May 20, 2005

TTPGIF! (thank the pagan gods it's friday!)

Actually my week is just starting to get interesting.

So, first things first, I really liked Star Wars. Overall I thought the acting was improved, the storyline was good, but the action scenes a bit longer than they needed to be (you know it's a bad sign when the fighting goes on so long you're actually bored... the last Matrix movie was worse for that, though).

Turns out I am going to miss a chance to meet with an editor of a Big Journal because I am leaving that day on a very inflexible trip. Gotta love it when you're getting screwed by only a couple of hours of bad scheduling.

Went to a graduation today where the professors started their usual bent of competing for whose student had the most Cell/Science/Nature/first author papers. Gotta love that, too. But hey, free food (and alcohol).

Met with a new collaborator today and am optimistic that will pan out as another middle-author paper. Hoorah!

And, possibly best of all, I had an experiment work. Perhaps even more to my credit, it was one that my undergrad did almost entirely by herself, which I think is a darn fine example of what a great teacher I might someday turn out to be.

They should pay me to do this stuff!

So, the weather is nice, I just had a free beer, I'm finishing another round of the western, and then I want to go home and go to sleep. I'm sure it won't be that simple, but in my perfect world, I would have earned at least a tiny fraction of a day of rest.

And thank you, pagan gods, for the inexorable march of time, the ever-changing weather, and the assurance I received today that my inflexible trip overlaps the worst part of monsoon season, with humidity rivaling that of Houston, Texas in summer. Goody!

My main concern now is getting up at the crack of dawn tomorrow: I have to figure out if I want to wear nice clothes to schmooze in at this conference. Always hard to choose between comfort and appearance, since they never seem to coincide. Even harder to make decisions pre-coffee.

2 Comments:

At 2:50 AM, Blogger Alon Levy said...

When you say, "Overall I thought the acting was improved, the storyline was good," you're not talking about Star Wars III, right? I found this collection of plot holes, inconsistencies, and abject stupidities to be a poor excuse of a movie.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Ms.PhD said...

Oh, lighten up. The acting was TERRIBLE in Episode II, you have to admit it was better this time. And the story was good. Not to give anything away for those who haven't seen it yet, but I found the Chancellor sufficiently creepy and the young Skywalker's obvious conflict to be a believable character development and explanation for the mystery of how he turned evil.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home