Tuesday, August 30, 2005

transcripts????

well, I didn't want to be awake but we have the room by the elevator, overlooking the street and apparently very close to the laundry room, so it was very noisy very early here.

I noticed that the last blog I did received a "support our troops" ad from Google. I don't understand how that happened and I'm pretty disgusted with Google. Just for the record, I hate the Bush administration and I think the war should end. I mean, these people can't get their constitution together and still include all the factions... clearly they have a lot of issues they need to deal with and I don't think our being there is helping at this point, if it did at all. I actually read very few articles from Iraqis who were talking about how much better it was to have us destroy all their cities with bombs. And I'm paranoid enough to wonder if the ones about help from the US weren't somewhat staged?

So the recruiter guy I talked to yesterday was right, there is a position open. But on the page describing the position and how to apply, they want transcripts from undergraduate and graduate school. What the hell is this?? Bad enough that I had to submit them to apply for my postdotoral fellowship. But I'm suspicious about what kind of place this is, that is so concerned about what classes I took 10 years ago. Like I remember anything from any of them, even the good ones??

Besides, I looked at the webpage and they did this thing, maybe you've seen this, where they used very old photos, even if they completed their PhD in 1970. It makes the faculty look young, which almost makes up for them being almost exclusively white male. There are only something like 3 women in the whole department, that's out of 25+ people total. But I mean, come on. We know you had to scan them all in and you did it sometime in the last 10 years or so. You could have updated the photos to actually reflect the real demographic.

I'm wondering about the point of applying someplace like that. Even if I got an offer, which I doubt I would since everyone looks to be pretty top-notch, I don't know if I'd want to work there. And transcripts??? Are they kidding???

Anyway now I have to decide if I want to use the hotel gym one last time, I feel like I should since I'm not sure if going back to sleep is even a possibility.

3 Comments:

At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your description of the web page makes me think of the catalog put out by my grad school. It was a new program, and they spent a lot of $, actually hiring a pro photographer to make these really arty and actually pretty damn cool photos of all the faculty.

Then, after the first year, when all of the faculty actually saw themselves in these (uniformly excellent) portraits, many of the older ones freaked out and supplied their own 20-year-old photographs for the next year's catalog. So now the catalog looks much worse, because about half of it is these really dated photos of low quality, compared to the awesome photography of the few remaining people who are actually their own age.

Pretty much all were men--which I thought was amusing that they were that vain. Because they certainly didn't evince vanity in their grooming or wardrobe. BTW, if you're holding out for a dept with equal gender or even close, I'm not sure you're going to find one)

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Ms.PhD said...

That's really funny. My grad program recently redid their website, too. Now it's very arty but it's hard to find stuff. Vanity never fails to get in the way of function.

As for departments with equal gender, I know, you're right. I guess I just have a really hard time imagining these people would want me at all.

 
At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on, give them a break! How do you expect them to become less dominated by older white males if you won't let them recruit younger women, like yourself? Perhaps they had a tough time hiring for a few years, tight budget at the university or dean who hated that dept or something like that. Or perhaps they lost a whole bunch of junior faculty to a startup pharma company. Or maybe the dept fissioned, with similar results. There are many possible explanations for your observation.
Solution: get more data by speaking privately and off-the-record with some (female) faculty and postdocs in the dept.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home