Friday, October 28, 2005

Made it to Friday- Barely.

Well, thanks for your comments. I'm amused by the pipette fan mail. Gilson and Drummond and Rainin might be worth buying stock in!

Sadly, Wednesday and Thursday were no better than Monday and Tuesday, but it's not even worth whining about.

I gotta say, though, the Sexual Harassment Training session was incredibly boring, even while being somewhat informative. Some of the little factoids were quite fun, and it made me realize I should definitely look into the schools I applied to, if I should actually be invited for any interviews. Always good to know who's being sued and for what.

Random Aside: Speaking of, one of my friends has already been invited for his first interview. We were the same year in grad school, but very different specialties. And he's in another country (he's a permanent resident there). I'm genuinely happy for him, and not jealous like I might have thought I would be, maybe because he's not the slightest bit arrogant about it. But it does kind of make me worry that maybe I should have started hearing something by now.

Pointless rant: I just hate these things we have to attend because of University liability, when they're clearly geared for people with an I.Q of less than 100. And I don't usually make reference to IQ tests because I think they're crap in general, but I think you know what I mean. Anything like these safety classes, they remind me of going to driving school when I was 15. They show you a video and then ask, Socratic-style, "What's wrong with this picture?" And then wait expectantly for people to actually answer their incredibly stupid questions. What a waste of time!

Sigh. I can't see myself wanting to ever take another class in my life. Maybe not the best attitude for a potential would-be eventual Professor who will have to do some teaching herself should she actually get a job somewhere.

Was that enough qualifiers? Hmmm?

Today I am happy that I got a helpful suggestion on a buffer to make my samples less goopy, so I am hopeful that This Gel will be The Last Gel of its kind, that the endless repetitions of this experiment with thereafter go extinct and that This Gel can be the Published Gel. I hope.

I am also the happy recipient of hand-me-downs from someone who is leaving. The lesson from all this: it's worth it to give stuff away and help by teaching people how to do stuff, no matter how annoying they make themselves. It all comes back, many-fold more than what you gave them. Including the stuff they were hoarding from the common lab stocks...

But, unfortunately, due to the screwups in my schedule from the problems that were out of my control and handled badly by the person whose job it was.... I will be working again tomorrow. So I guess I am a bit resentful and lazy today in retaliation. So there! Somebody somewhere owes me a weekend.

3 Comments:

At 7:38 AM, Blogger PhD Mom said...

Don't worry about not having heard yet. I applied for positions two years ago. I didn't really start hearing back until just before the national conference in mid-Nov. I had my first interview in Dec, but the majority were in the Spring and I actually still had people calling me in April and May after I'd already accepted a position.

My advisor told me that the 2nd tier schools try to contact you first because they want to "lock you in" before the 1st tier schools have a chance to get their stuff together. I don't know if I buy that entirely, but I think there is some truth to it.

Good luck!

-PhD Mom

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Jane said...

PhD Mom said exactly what I was going to say---schools are on different timetables, and there's not even consistency within the tiers.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Matt BK said...

Gooooood luck! And you can have my weekend, I'm not using it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home