Thursday, April 26, 2007

Sum total.

I wrote a post yesterday, and blogger crashed and kicked me out just as I was hitting "publish."

Ironic, since it was about how we're such slaves to publishing and I think it's ultimately really bad for science.

Argh. Nevermind.

Of the experiments I tried to do today:

1 failed
1 half worked, but was annoying, so I'll go back to it another day
1 is half finished and I will try to get it closer to finished before I leave tonight
1 is not finished but I hope to do it tomorrow

Data sets I need to analyze: at least 6

Abstracts I need to write: 2

Forms I need to get signed by my PI: 2

Getting to sleep in on Saturday?

Priceless.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 3:33 PM, Blogger The OE said...

This reminds me of organic chemistry. It might have reminded me of p-chem but I don't remember much of that class.

 
At 6:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, help me out here. How is publishing ultimately bad for science? Because I always thought it works out pretty well. I work more focused and efficiently when I am under preddure to produce a paper. The peer review process, as painful as it can be and as unfair or even corrupt as it very rarely is, generally improves the quality of the published work. And the self-correcting nature of science depends on publication.

This stuff costs a lot of money. Not everyone who is smart or interested can do science. There has to be some metric for productivity assessment in order to ensure that money is well-spent. Piblishing may be an imperfect metric, but I can't think of a better one.

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger Angry Lab Rat said...

I recommend writing your post in Microsoft Word, then pasting into blogger (as I do). Solves lots of headaches.

(http://angrylabrat.blogspot.com)

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Isa said...

I am in my first year of Grad school in Infectious Diseases. Not only is there no money in Infectious Disease but also very frustrated PI's..

I get no sleep on Saturdays or Sundays either. Sleeping in the weekend is the only reason why sometimes I look back at the younger years....highschool, elementary school.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home