Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Impress Them With Your Arrogance.

Today I had lunch with a friend who got annoyed enough with an arrogant HR person from Big Academic Company (you can guess which one) and decided to try fighting snotty, stuck up bullshit about You Need Three Top Tier Papers with... arrogance.

Et voila! HR Person backed down and started treating her like an equal, or even better, someone worth hiring.

So maybe it's not that I'm not nice enough.

Maybe I'm nice to the wrong people (the ones who are more impressed by arrogance, like certain admins around here), and being "arrogant" with people who can't appreciate it (people who are threatened by smart women, for example).

I am tempted to test this out. Perhaps instead of turning on the charm, I should just start intimidating the hell out of people. If you can't make them love you, you can make them fear you, right?

I've always wondered if maybe I'm not self-promoting enough in that really obnoxious way that works for a subset of people whom no one can stand but everyone is impressed by anyway.

Like the story about the grad student who stopped all the classmates in the parking lot, one by one, and asked them how many papers they had published yet, as an excuse to brag.

I mean, that takes balls.

Maybe I just should go around bragging about what I've done, drop names, and so on.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 8:20 PM, Blogger Bill Hooker said...

Oderint, dum metuant.

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger DrOtter said...

Well there are so many arrogant buggers in academia that one would imagine that it could be a worthwhile character trait to cultivate.

Although I suspect in many cases that those people who brag on the way up are the ones who get laughed at the most on the way down...I hope.

 
At 11:06 PM, Blogger Ψ*Ψ said...

I don't know that I'd call it fighting arrogance with arrogance, but it does seem that many such people will back down quickly if you are confident and aggressive.

 
At 7:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Like the story about the grad student who stopped all the classmates in the parking lot, one by one, and asked them how many papers they had published yet, as an excuse to brag.

I mean, that takes balls."

Yes, and its also a sign of extreme insecurity.

 
At 4:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Now you have something to actually be arrogant about. You have been honored with the Thinking Blogger Award. Kindly go visit:
http://qw88nb88.wordpress.com/2007/06/06/ooh-shiny/
andrea

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Ms.PhD said...

Thanks Andrea! I'll get right on it.

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger nothing but the truth said...

That is a great article, thank you foe making me laugh this morning. I am totally sending this link to my friend, a research scientist in AZ. and Congratulations on your Thinking Award. I liked Andrea's comment!

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger the unbeatable kid said...

I always felt that it's as important to make the right enemies as it is to make the right friends.

I think that it says something positive about you when the jerks in the world find you difficult to deal with.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home