Friday, May 20, 2005

Meme

Okay, I don't usually do memes, but since botanical girl tagged me on it, and it sounded interesting enough, here is my meditation on things I have never done.

I have never:

1. Been skydiving.
2. Been scubadiving.
3. Seen a ghost.
4. Smoked.
5. Surfed.
6. Believed in god.
7. Been married.

I've done a lot of things, most of which I won't list here. But I can juggle and walk on stilts (though not at the same time). I've skiied and swam and travelled a respectable amount for someone my age and income level. I speak more than one language and I play a handful of musical instruments. I kickbox, rollerblade, and do yoga. I've studied ballet, tap, jazz, and African dance. I paint my own toenails, thank you very much, so I don't know if that counts as a pedicure. I drove across the entire country in a car with no airconditioning. (that sucked, btw). I worked as a translator for deaf people making phone calls. I have helped a friend in and out of her wheelchair, onto and off of toilets. I have marched for gay rights and been proud to do it. I've meditated and had visions of the future that turned out to be true (although not very useful). I've published poetry and read it in public. I've given the toast for a friend at her wedding. I have lost family members to cancer and (very) old age. I have lost friends to mental illness and suicide. I have a friend who is HIV+.

I saw Allen Ginsberg perform when he was alive.

I have doubted myself, I have criticized others loudly, I have been criticized roundly. I have been discriminated against. I have been scared, I have been depressed, I have given up, I have quit, and I have been brave.

I have gone out of my way to have new experiences, to not be bored, to have things to write poetry about, to take advantage of having all my limbs and mind intact and functioning.

For my career, I have done Western, Southern and Nothern blots. I have run gels with agarose, acrylamide, and urea. I have stained cells on glass and plastic, in and out of human tissue, with various dyes and antibodies linked to dyes. I have worked with viruses, bacteria, mice, frogs, yeast, and plants. I have used fluorescent and electron microscopes. I have solved protein structures with X-ray crystallography. I have purified, cloned, sub-cloned, transfected, blotted and detected DNA. I have used at least three kinds of radioactivity. I have asked questions no one wanted to ask and answered questions no one thought to ask.

I am more than overqualified. And I am vary rarely satisfied.

3 Comments:

At 9:58 PM, Blogger Megan said...

I really loved this post. I like being able to peek inside someone else's brain for a while and live vicariously through them for a time. We are very different people, but I enjoy reading your point of view.

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger Labwench said...

That is a great post. Thank you for sharing.

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Ms.PhD said...

glad you liked it.

madbard sent me a comment (as usual, i'm confused about comments that come to me via email vs. ones that actually show up on the page...) saying that admitting to having 'hobbies' like writing can look bad at things like job interviews.

my reply is: why do you think I don't use my real name? of course one can't come out of the closet as being multi-talented or having other interests outside of science. that's a big no-no. the explanation for all of scientific failures might be that I spend too much time doing other stuff. Or it might be that I haven't played the political game well enough. Or maybe I'm just not that smart, not that good technically. If somebody wants to criticize me or call me failure, there are plenty of ways for them to do it. And none of them have to be supported with actual evidence.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home