Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Nice things people have said about my work.

Someone said in the comments on the last post that it helps to have a running list of compliments to keep your spirits up (I'm paraphrasing).

I think I've done this before, but probably bears rewriting. (When I write the book, I promise I'll take the best parts of repeated post topics...)




1. When I was thinking about quitting during grad school, my thesis advisor told me that early on, he was thinking of kicking me out. Apparently his former advisor, who had seen me speak about my work, told him not to.

"She's the real deal," he said.

I never found out if he actually said it, but it was nice of my advisor to say it to me. That's about as much of a compliment as he ever gave me.




2. "You're a lot more impressive in person, I mean, wow," someone said to me quite clumsily last year, when I went to give a talk to their lab at the start of a new collaboration.




3. "That paper is very solid, it will stand the test of time," someone said to me about my most hard-won, 2nd least-cited paper.




4. "You have a really interesting story," said a postdoc to me shortly before she left for industry.





And to mrphd, who often says my project is the only science he thinks is really interesting anymore, I wouldn't still be here without you.




That's all for now. I have to go be impressive and see if any of my experiments are working today. Wish me luck.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 6:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's almost the beginning of the academic job season. Are you sending out applications ?

 
At 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Ms.PhD! This list is enough to prove that you are good!
So, alcohol on monday had a good effect: this post has a positive mood!

 
At 8:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somebody once said to me:

"You are, WOW."

That wasn't research-related, but I remember walking on cloud 9 after that :D

It feels good just to be appreciated, but unfortunately, not many people realize this :(

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Ms.PhD said...

Anon 6:55,

I know.

NO.

And as my magic 8 ball always says:

Ask again later.



Anon 7:25,

ha! too bad alcohol is not low-calorie, or I would have a beer every day.



pelf,

AMEN.

 
At 8:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beer isn't low calorie... so that's why I went from a size 10 to a size 14 in my postdoc!

(I had been blaming the 16 hour days and the not moving away from my computer)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home