Sunday, September 14, 2008

Procrastinating Sunday.

When I was little, my parents always made me finish my homework BEFORE I did anything else.

I think this was a good habit, in some ways, although it made me panic when I ever had to do something right up against a deadline, because it was so unusual. My parents' panic made me panic.

(It has taken me most of my life to realize just how many of my wrong beliefs came from my parents.)

I didn't really meet any actual procrastinators until college, when I continued my good habits and strongly believed that I was less stressed out that way.

I watched one of my roommates get several Incompletes, and wondered how she could just go about her life like it was no big deal.

I seriously thought that if something like that happened to me, I would die.

Fast-forward a few years, and I live with a life-long textbook procrastinator, who has been a bad influence on me in some ways.

This weekend, for example, I have done some of the things I needed to do, because they were time-sensitive, and blew everything else off.

Until today. I really really need to get some work done today.

But I don't wanna.

I need a break longer than I've had time for in quite a while.

I'm afraid that one of these days I'm just going to plop down in the middle of the sidewalk and cry like a 2-year old.

I keep thinking of that Barenaked Ladies song, "Baby Seat":

When the working week defeats us
If you think growing up is tough
Then you're just not grown up enough, baby

You can't live your life
in the baby seat
You've got to stand on your own
Don't admit defeat

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 2:40 PM, Blogger Julia said...

I need a break longer than I've had time for
You need to take that time once in a while. I am like you, but I would not call that procrastination. Procrastination is not doing things although having the time and not being stressed. What you did is saving yourself from a burnout - and that is a healthy thing. Such times where you need a rest don't check for deadlines before they come up.

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger Eugenie said...

I'll have to agree with you on not wanting to do work even though I should! (I'm procrastinating reading your blog..)

I'm considering today as a mental health day...

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger unknown said...

Hi

Thank you for your blog. I really enjoy reading it. It is nice to know that some of my frustrations are shared. I identify with many of your experiences, in particular the social dynamics of academia. Your blog has motivated me to keep an account of my own experiences as a female scientist. I recently graduated with a PhD in the biological sciences (evolutionary genetics) and just moved from a big city in Canada to a small town university in the US. The address of the blog is

http://www.girlpostdoc.blogspot.com/

I hope you will check it out.

Cheers, GirlPostdoc

 
At 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you need a break. Your post reminded me of this (modified) saying: Put off until the day after tomorrow what you can do today and you will have two days off. Perhaps you should try that. :-)

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Ms.PhD said...

Welcome, Girlpostdoc!

Everyone else- I did a little work Sunday, a lot of work yesterday, and today is crunch time for at least one thing I can't put off.

Sigh. I should get back to it now. =(

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger Hermitage said...

I generally live on the razor edge of deadlines, it is not a fun place to be. So I admire your systematicyness. I too sometimes think 'man, I need a vacay.'

Then I laugh hysterically and slink home to watch some Daily Show.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home