Friday, August 29, 2008

Hellish week almost over.

Tired. Verrry tired. Lots of data to analyze, no space on my hard drive, PI is nagging me, and I couldn't sleep last night and didn't get enough sleep the night before, either.

Something about not having enough time to wind down after working late, or drinking a half-caf o'lait at 4:30 pm is too late in the day... or maybe just stress.

But for the second night in a row, I had a hard-core, grad-school-style anxiety attack last night and spent most of it on the couch watching some old Meryl Streep movie on We. Yeesh.

Better now, crossed that line to "too tired to care right now", where it is somewhat more peaceful.

Trying not to be too short-tempered, despite all that. It's taking a major act of zen serenity right now. Deep. Breathing.

So even though I will probably have to work late again tonight, which will probably necessitate a return to coffee (I skipped it this morning, trying to calm my rattled nerves), and I will most definitely have to work most of the long weekend, I am trying to look on the bright side:

-Got data.

-Making progress.

-Not homeless yet (have to drive past a particular homeless guy each morning, who always gives me a very knowing look like he knows that I know I should be glad I have a job and a place to live, at least for now).

-Not unemployed yet (unemployed friend of mine, meanwhile, is getting increasingly anxious about her lack of options, and I'm trying hard not to worry about her too much)

-PI is trying to help with project.

-Friends and strangers are helping with reagents, equipment etc. on short notice.

-I have learned, over the years in science, how to not let stress rule my life completely. That's really a Major Victory.

-Can make a point to go to yoga on Sunday and hopefully make an appearance at 1 or 2 friends' labor day get-togethers.

-It might rain this weekend, which is bad for get-togethers outdoors, but perfect when your plants need it and you know you have to work indoors anyway!

-Can sleep in tomorrow. Hale-fuckin-lujah.

Hooray for Friday.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:44 AM, Blogger Scartaris said...

Not related to this post, but I was recently tempted to cut some corners during my research project (as I explain in this blog post), and reading your blog, especially your comments about people who publish unreliable results, was one of the things that kept me honest. I just thought you might like to know.

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Ms.PhD said...

Thanks, and, wow. It's nice to know this blog might actually have a minor impact in helping de-shame the reality of research:

it doesn't always work the way it's supposed to, AND THAT'S OK.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home